Sunday, August 26, 2012

I Love You-This Much!

Sometimes in life there are things that will always and forever remind you of a story from your past.
One such story for me comes from a time when I was working at the Bar Ten Ranch. I spent many summers as a kid out at the ranch with my dad and as soon as I was old enough, there was nothing I wanted more than to work out there myself. One of my favorite years of working out there was the second summer that I spent working with Addie, Laura, Maria and Crystal. Because it was our second summer together, we were a well oiled machine. A complete unit. We worked really well together and had a blast, even when the days were too long and too hot and all we really wanted was a nap!

Until you have worked a summer at Bar Ten, you have no idea how great a nap can be. I don't think I have ever worked harder in my life than I did out there. We started our days early. Usually up at 4:30 in the morning (5:30 if we got to sleep in!) and worked our tails off till the program ended around 9:30 at night. Somewhere in all the work, we managed to find time to play (usually a good water fight, or practical joke of some sort) and even snuck in the occasional, coveted nap!

Still, there were days when the naps were elusive, and the sleep deprivation took it's toll. One such day I will remember forever- Addie and I were in the kitchen. It had been a long day. A long work week, really, and I remember that I was washing a never-ending stack of dishes. Addie was at the counter getting ready to make some lunch. As I stood at the sink with my back to her, she let out a cry of frustration and dropped what I later learned was a butter knife, on the counter. Startled, I turned around and asked, "Pants, what is wrong?" She looked at me for just a second and asked, "How do you make half of a grilled cheese sandwich?" I don't specifically remember what ran through my head, but I do remember telling her just to cut the bread in half. She rolled her eyes at me as if to say, "Thank you, Captain Obvious", but she picked up her knife and cut the bread in half.

Every time anyone eats a grilled cheese sandwich I remember this day in detail. In our overly exhausted state, it was hilarious. It's still one of my favorite stories. So, this one is for you, Pants! I love you- this much!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mean to do that ^
    can't outgrow the blonde

    2 things: How much?? and I like you. Almost love you...but...I like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You are darling and I love you- This much! You know you can do just about anything and never really be in that much trouble. Hopefully, I don't get into too much trouble for the crazy things I do either- like airing your blonde moments on my blog :)

      Delete